Clarence Chan is the Founder of Singapore’s first live music gig finder, Bandwagon, a venture driven by two of his biggest passions: music and business.
In August, Clarence took his dream to connect people to music beyond the online sphere in putting together The Bandwagon Music Market! Delivering an eclectic mix of the best of Singapore’s live music, art, flea-marketing, vinyl shopping, and food – there was much on offer and at the same time, much for an event organiser to manage.
Going from free in its first year to paid in its second to a sold out success, Clarence will be sharing about how he pulled it all off at the seventh edition of Backstage Pass.
We got to know Clarence a little better (nothing beats meeting with him in-person of course!) with five quick facts:
1. Aside from organising events, my day job’s to make sure Bandwagon grows and makes money.
2. My current favourite band is Snarky Puppy, who are coming here in Oct by the way!
3. Recently, I’ve been listening a lot to What about me? by Snarky Puppy
4. I organised the Bandwagon Music Market because we wanted to take bands we’ve been talking about online, offline for a show. We called it the music market, because there were other things we found fun that we wanted to add to the gig. Vinyl stores, music gear, art, poetry, video games, fashion etc. The word “market” summed it up pretty nicely for us.
5. My top tip to making/saving money in organising events is to offer more value to consumers than you are charging them for. No one’s smarter than the public. They know value when they see it, and everyone loves the feeling of a good bargain.
Find out how Clarence successfully organised a sold-out gig and helped to amplify the local music scene at The $ Edition of Backstage Pass – get tickets here.